According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, there are 220,000 victims of sudden cardiac arrest per year in the United States and about 10,000 sudden cardiac arrests occur at work.
Due to the large number of cardiac arrests occurring in the workplace, involving employees in safety training is the right choice for ensuring a safe environment. The safety training should include steps to take if a coworker experiences a cardiac arrest, or some form of an emergency where the advantages of first aid treatment need to be provided: i.e. allergic reaction, stroke, bone emergency, etc.
Completing safety training as a whole company or department can be more valuable as specific aspects rely on the office itself. For instance, discussing the best fire exits, the location of the first aid kit, and how to contact the emergency response team may be unique to the company.
The following are the skills and information an employee must learn out of his safety training:
- Assessing the current situation as soon as an emergency starts to occur.
- Preparing a list of emergency hotline numbers and knowing when to call them especially if any emergencies struck the workplace.
- Responding to patients who are suffering from medical conditions such as cardiac arrests.
- Responding to the patients who are experiencing any physical injuries due to some accidents and some illnesses as well.
- Knowing how to perform CPR on sudden cardiac arrest patients to buy a lot of time in prolonging their lives before professional medical assistance arrives.
- Learning how to use Automated External Defibrillator in order to send electric shock signals to the heart and return it back to its normal beating once again.
- Having enough knowledge and information on what first aid treatment must be given to the patient suffering from injuries or any illnesses.
Safety training is open to the possibility of a heart attack, cardiac arrests, or physical injuries to occur so receiving training in First Aid and CPR/AED courses is very important.
Enroll in group training today as a company and receive discounts and ensure that each employee receives the same, adequate training. Get your employees trained to build a safer working environment!