It is important to always check the scene and ensure your safety first. Remember that dialing 9-1-1 is one of the most important steps you can take to save another’s life.
- Your safety is first, so leave the scene if you are at risk.
- While helping the victim, protect yourself from transmission of possible diseases. **This is extremely relevant now with the current Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) that is actively impacting many people.
- Use preventive breathing barriers / personal protective equipment (PPE) when available. Cloth masks should be used for protection during COVID-19 when other PPE is not available or there is a shortage in your area.
- Try to cover your own cuts, sores, wounds, and any skin conditions with a bandage before responding.
3. Use disposable gloves to avoid direct contact with blood / bodily fluids.
4. Washing your hands properly is extremely important. Always use soap and water after removing your gloves.
5. If you suspect that a victim has suffered a spinal or neck injury, do not move or shake the victim.