There are basic guiding principles that need to be followed in all First Aid emergency situations:
- First, assess the scene to ensure that it is safe for you and the victim.
- It is essential to call for professional help promptly – dial 9-1-1 immediately!
- Calmly and swiftly assess the emergency, and recognize the problem.
- Give care based on your skills and knowledge.
- Stay at the scene to comfort and calm the ill or injured person until help arrives.
- Do not immediately move the ill or injured person. If you act inappropriately, the injury may worsen.